Thousands of videos are being uploaded to YouTube everyday. With millions of users visiting the site across the globe, there’s no doubt it’s a huge platform for advertising and in turn a great marketing hub for businesses. Though what are you really watching? Whilst dogs in spider suits videos and the ice bucket challenge soared in the viewing department, you might be surprised to find that the majority of clips on YouTube are actually branded content. So what is branded content? Well the team of geniuses over at Wikipedia says:
“Branded content is a form of advertising medium that blurs conventional distinctions between what constitutes advertising and what constitutes editorial content. Branded content is essentially a fusion of the two into one product, it’s intended to be distributed as editorial content, albeit with a highly branded quality and often labeled as “sponsored”
A great example of this is Purina’s ‘A cats Guide to taking care of your human’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJPJUaZZOss
The majority of the time, you don’t know you’re being sold to until the very end, until its too late and you’re hooked. This is the beauty of branded content.
So how do you get from A – B? A, of course being your decision to create branded content for your brand, and B, being million hits on YouTube and your own private yacht.
Well, the following stages are great guide to reaching success with your video production:
• Concept & Strategy – All good video or film production should start with too much coffee, lots of ‘brainstorming’ and a clear goal.
• Pre Production – Nothing beats having a killer pre-production strategy. This is the stage were elements such as planning, scriptwriting and storyboarding need to be determined.
• Production – This is the fancy part where all of the pre production comes together and the concept come to life.
• Post Production – Bringing it back to the studio; the work done at this stage really is the cherry on top, the fine-tuning, tweaking and all round magic.
• Distribution – With a clear goal determined in the preproduction stage, the way in which the video is marketed is already signed sealed and… well nearly delivered. Decisions are made as to which social avenues are best suited the campaign and all going well your video goes viral and you get that yacht.
Branded content is the newest fad in marketing; everyone’s doing it and yes, it’s cool, or not cool, for all the hipsters out there.
Get your brand on board and get creative.